- Schedule of Classes - September 1, 2022 7:41AM EDT
- Course Catalog - August 9, 2022 8:17AM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
As a participant of this course, you will be engaged in a thoughtfully designed blend of active learning sessions, group work, and lectures that focuses on assessing your market, testing your idea, and planning the successful execution of new food and beverage industry concepts. Through presentations, research, guest speakers, and more, you will be introduced to the segments and scope of the industry, to the major players, and to the market forces and critical issues at play in this competitive field. You will discover the importance of identifying your customer and learn how to conduct market research and apply marketing principles to food and beverage concepts. With this information, you will be able to shape your idea, define your value proposition, and develop an effective business case for your concept. In addition, you'll become acquainted with topics including food safety, standardization, and recipe development; explore menu design and planning; investigate facilities and production issues; identify basic concerns regarding supply chain and inventory management in a food and beverage setting; and familiarize yourself with purchasing and quality assurance concerns.
When Offered Summer.
Permission Note Open to: high school students.
Comments Course is not open to matriculated Hotel students.Outcomes
- Deepen your understanding of the food and beverage industry, from market segmentation to menu planning, food safety, supply chain, and service issues
- Learn what it means, and takes, to be an entrepreneur in the food and beverage industry
- Identify the considerations required to develop a viable, and sustainable, food and beverage concept
- Strengthen your business, marketing, and management knowledge
Three Week - Second.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits GradeNoAud(Letter grades only (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWRF Statler Hall 398
- Jun 21 - Jul 8, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=3146
Disabled for this roster.