- Schedule of Classes - September 1, 2022 7:41AM EDT
- Course Catalog - August 9, 2022 8:17AM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
How is public policy really formed in the United States today? Who are the key actors and decision makers who shape the laws and regulations that impact us at the local, state and federal levels of government? Most importantly, how do private individuals (lobbyists, trade associations, media and other influencers) sway how laws, rules and regulations impact our daily lives? The goal of this course is to provide a foundation of how private influence impacts our public policy. Building upon this foundation, students will learn who the key policymakers are in the public sector alongside of those in the private sector who seek to influence them. Students will gain knowledge through academic texts looking at the role of interest group politics in America as well as the Instructor's 30 years of experience working as a public policy practitioner working at the highest levels of government on Capitol Hill and the White House as well as being a former lobbyist and licensed attorney at law.
- This course examines how special interest groups seek to influence government policy, and the extent to which they succeed. This relates to outcomes of disciplinary knowledge (political science, law), applying multi-disciplinary perspectives, and policy analysis / public economics.
- This course develops students written and oral communication skills through several papers, a policy analysis assignment, and required participation in class discussion.
- This course develops students' critical thinking skills. Students must understand and analyze various readings, and participate in class discussions, and make logical arguments in their written assignments.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- WR Washington, DC
- Jun 6 - Jul 28, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Taught in Washington, DC. Intended for Summer in Washington participants only.
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: