- Schedule of Classes - September 1, 2022 7:41AM EDT
- Course Catalog - August 9, 2022 8:17AM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
This course will provide an introduction to the study of Communication. Topics include the functions, foundations, models, and modes of communication. Students will be introduced to research methods and begin to master the research and study skills required to be a successful scholar of communication. An overview of concepts and processes related to the functions of communication will be examined through current theoretical and empirical research.
When Offered Fall, Summer.
Distribution Category (SBA-AG)
- Students will be able to express a thoughtful awareness of the role of communication in their own life.
- Students will be able to identify how communication processes shape human thoughts and actions.
- Students will be able to articulate the difference in how evidence is used in various social-scientific approaches to understanding communication phenomena.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an evidence-based perspective on the structures, processes, and effects of communication.
- Students will be able to identify and apply theoretical perspectives to understand and ask communication-related research questions.
- Students will be able to evaluate the strengths and limitations of communication theories.
- Students will be able to find, summarize, and synthesize quality communication research publications.
- Students will be able to identify gaps in what is known about human communication.
- Students will be able to begin to critically evaluate how inferences are made from observations.
- Students will be able to critique inappropriate citation and methodological choices, formulate a high quality APA style research paper investigating a specific communication phenomenon in depth from a unique perspective.
Three Week - Second.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWRF Online Meeting
- Jun 21 - Jul 8, 2022
Instruction Mode: Distance Learning-Synchronous
This Online Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=3331
Disabled for this roster.