- Schedule of Classes - February 6, 2017 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - February 6, 2017 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2016-2017.
The combination of seminar and international service-learning course provides a unique opportunity to connect classroom instruction with experiential learning while gaining a broad understanding of the impacts resulting from climate change. In addition, the course includes background on Vietnamese history and culture. A two-week field trip in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam offers students opportunity to experience firsthand the dire situation in the region and gain a deeper and more personalized understanding of these pressing issues due to a rapidly changing climate.
When Offered Fall (weeks 8-15).
Breadth Requirement (GB)
Distribution Category (CA-AS)
Course Attribute (CU-CEL, CU-ITL, CU-SBY)
Comments Students must take both ASIAN 3360 and ASIAN 3361 to receive course credit. This yearlong course includes seven weeks during the second half of the fall semester and first half of the spring semester, and a January in-country two-week service-learning experience.Outcomes
- Respect and appreciate the culture, history and resilience of Vietnam and its people.
- Comprehend what climate change means to an agrarian country like Vietnam and implications for the global food system.
- Formulate solutions to the challenges posed by climate change to the Mekong Delta of Vietnam and beyond.
- Assess what was gained from the course and integrate this into their personal and professional life-path.
- Realize the importance of sharing the climate change story with others.
- Gain practical and meaningful international experience and leadership skills.
- Enhance the sense of worldview and civic engagement and social responsibility.
Seven Week - Second. Combined with: ALS 3600
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Multi-Term(Multi-Term Course: Not Graded)
Class Number & Section Details
- FRockefeller Hall 189
- Oct 10 - Dec 2, 2016
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Disabled for this roster.