- Schedule of Classes - September 19, 2023 5:23PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 19, 2023 4:43PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
This course examines moral and ethical issues in communication, new media, and technology. Using theories and research in moral philosophy and psychology, we examine how people perceive and reason about ethical issues presented by media and technology, and how moral action is influenced by cognitive, emotional, and ethical belief systems. Issues of autonomy, transparency, harm, privacy, manipulation, justice, democracy, equality, and care are discussed. We analyze the consistency between personal and professional ethics, the importance of moral character and agency, and the translation of moral thought to ethical action, and address the development of professional and personal ethical codes of conduct and research for communication professionals in the areas of new media and technology.
When Offered Fall, Winter, Summer.
Distribution Category (CA-AG, KCM-AG)
- Students will be able to increase awareness of moral and ethical issues in media, technology, and communication.
- Students will be able to explain moral psychology and ethical principles.
- Students will be able to examine moral reasoning and ethical responsibilities—both personal and professional—that affect people and society.
- Students will be able to examine issues and implications of ethical relativism and ethical principles.
- Students will be able to reason thoughtfully and ethically about current cases and news items in communication, media, and technology.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWRF Online Meeting
- May 30 - Jun 16, 2023
Instruction Mode: Online
This Online Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=3092
Or send this URL: