- Schedule of Classes - September 19, 2023 5:23PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 19, 2023 4:43PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
The last 30 years have produced an explosion of new information on the biology of the approximately 1,000 living species of sharks, skates, rays, and chimaeras, which collectively make up the group Chondrichthyes. This course will cover advanced topics in the evolution, diversity, anatomy, functional morphology, neurobiology, sensory systems, behavior, reproduction, development, and conservation of cartilaginous fishes.
When Offered Summer.
Permission Note Please contact Shoals Marine Lab to assist with enrollment.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: at least one semester of major-level marine biology or vertebrate biology.
Distribution Category (BIO-AS, PBS-AS)
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
Comments Students will live at Shoals Marine Lab, Appledore Island, ME, for duration of this course.Outcomes
- Students will be able to describe elasmobranch phylogeny and evolution.
- Students will be able to explain how evolution has resulted in a wide variety of elasmobranch anatomical, physiological and morphological specializations.
- Students will develop skills and research methods used to advance understanding of shark biology, ecology and conservation.
- Students will become familiar with current and pst shark research, and study elasmobranch species in the Gulf of Maine.
Summer Special Session 2.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWRFSSu Shoals Marine Lab
- Jul 17 - Jul 31, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=2307
Department Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: