- Schedule of Classes - September 19, 2023 5:23PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 19, 2023 4:43PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
Covers the philosophy of research, hypothesis testing and experimental design, sampling methods, various underwater techniques, diving physics and physiology, and use of dive tables. Emphasizes subtidal ecological research. Requirements include critical evaluation of several journal articles and production of a research proposal.
When Offered Summer.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: one semester of college-level biology or equivalent, recognized SCUBA certification, and approval to SCUBA dive at Shoals.
Distribution Category (BIO-AS, PBS-AS)
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
- Understanding of basic principles in marine ecology, including competition, predation, and direct and indirect interactions, and how these forces shape the marine ecosystem in the Gulf of Maine.
- Identify subtidal algae, invertebrates, and fishes inhabiting diving depths around the Isles of Shoals, including species identification and life history characteristics.
- Hypothesis testing, as well as aspects of experimental design including sampling method, replication, and controls.
- Applying of introductory statistics, including student's t-test, ANOVA, and regression analyses.
- Designing and implementing an independent research project by observing patterns in the subtidal ecosystem and formulating testable hypotheses to explain the patterns.
- Analyzing and summarizing collected field data.
- Writing a formal Research Proposal based on the independent research project (design, data collection, analyses).
- Critiquing and evaluating original research proposals in an oral presentation and group discussion format.
- Applying fundamental principles of diving physics and physiology relevant to a working scientific diver.
- Becoming certified in fundamental skills in First Aid, O2 administration, and CPR.
Summer Special Session 2.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWRFSSu Shoals Marine Lab
- Jul 17 - Jul 31, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=151
Department Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: