- Schedule of Classes - September 19, 2023 5:23PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 19, 2023 4:43PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
This course will focus on one of the most diverse and fascinating groups of marine organisms- parasites. We will explore marine parasites and pathogens at multiple levels, including: (1) the evolutionary perspective with an emphasis on co-evolutionary relationships; (2) parasitic diseases and life cycles (from simple to complex); (3) taxonomic and phylogenetic understanding of parasite and host groups (with a focus on metazoan parasites and hosts); (4) ecological implications of parasitism in marine systems—at the population, community, and ecosystem levels; and (5) the effects of human-induced global change on parasitism in marine communities.
When Offered Summer.
Permission Note Please contact Shoals Marine Lab to assist with enrollment.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: at least one college-level introductory course in evolutionary or ecological biology, e.g. BIOEE 1780/BIOSM 1780, or BIOEE 1610/BIOSM 1610 or similar.
Distribution Category (BIO-AS, PBS-AS)
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
Comments Students will live at Shoals Marine Lab, Appledore Island, ME, during this course.Outcomes
- Students will be able to: Apply working knowledge of fundamental facts, concepts, and theories about marine parasitology and disease.
- Determine evolutionary and ecological importance of parasites/pathogens in marine systems.
- Identify taxa of marine parasites using scientific keys and descriptions.
- Determine host and parasite diversity in the local marine environment.
- Prepare microscopes and other equipment used for observing and identifying parasites.
- Empirically test ideas using scientific evidence collected from surrounding ecosystems.
- Organize knowledge of marine parasitology and disease and effectively communicate concepts to peers.
Summer Special Session 2.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWRFSSu Shoals Marine Lab
- Jul 31 - Aug 14, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=3233
Department Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: