- Schedule of Classes - September 19, 2023 5:23PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 19, 2023 4:43PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
Patterns of diversity and processes of evolution. Topics include the diversity of life, the fossil record, macroevolutionary patterns, the genetics and developmental basis of evolutionary change, processes at the population level, evolution by natural selection, modes of speciation, long-term trends in evolution, and human evolution.
When Offered Summer.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: students who are either: a) matriculated students at Cornell, UNH or at any 4-year college or university; or b) incoming first-year students who will arrive at Cornell or UNH in fall.
Distribution Category (BIO-AG, BIOLS-AG, BIO-AS, PBS-AS)
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
- Students will understand the underlying causal principles of evolutionary diversification.
- Students will be able to apply these principles to understand historical and contemporary evolutionary scenarios.
- Students will be able to identify core taxa in the tree of life, their characteristics, and understand the relationships among them.
- Students will be able to use basic conceptual and analytical tools to describe complex relationships within the tree of life.
- Students will be familiar with a number of experimental and synthetic approaches to analyzing and discovering evolutionary processes (microevolution) and establishing evolutionary patterns (macroevolution).
- Students will discuss knowledgeably the dimensions of evolutionary issues that require decisions in our society.
Summer Special Session 2.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWRFSSu Shoals Marine Lab
- Jun 15 - Jul 3, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=2773
Department Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: