- Schedule of Classes - September 19, 2023 5:23PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 19, 2023 4:43PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
Comprehensive overview of the biology of microorganisms, with emphasis on bacteria. Topics include microbial cell structure and function, physiology, metabolism, genetics, diversity, and ecology. Also covers applied aspects of microbiology such as biotechnology, the role of microorganisms in environmental processes, and medical microbiology.
When Offered Fall, Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: two semesters majors-level biology and two semesters college-level chemistry, or equivalent. Highly recommended corequisite: BIOMI 2911.
Distribution Category (BIO-AS, PBS-AS)
Comments The four-credit option adds one discussion section per week designed to promote active learning and enhance engagement with subjects covered in lecture.Outcomes
- Demonstrate an understanding of core concepts of microbiology, including the evolution and diversity of microbes; cell structure and function; metabolism; information flow and the role of microbes in ecosystems.
- Recognize and identify the unifying molecular and biochemical characteristics of all living organisms.
- Describe the major biogeochemical cycles of the Earth and the roles of microorganisms that mediate these transformations.
- Apply the scientific method, as well as use objective observation and empirical measurement to evaluate alternative ideas concerning the underlying principles that govern biological, physical and chemical processes.
- Explain fundamental concepts of microbiology, both in written and in oral format.
Six Week Summer.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWRF Riley-Robb Hall 105
- Jun 20 - Jul 28, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=138
Or send this URL: