- Schedule of Classes - September 19, 2023 5:23PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 19, 2023 4:43PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
General introduction to the fundamental principles of genetics in eukaryotes and bacteria. Topics include: gene transmission, linkage, recombination, structure, mutations, and manipulation, as well as analysis of genomes in individuals and populations.
When Offered Fall, Spring, Summer.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: one college-level introductory biology course or equivalent, or permission of the instructor.
Forbidden Overlaps Forbidden Overlap: due to an overlap in content, students will not receive credit for both BIOMG 2800 and NTRES 2830.
Distribution Category (BIO-AS, PBS-AS)
Comments Biological sciences majors must take course for a letter grade. Weekly problem solving sessions are strongly recommended.Outcomes
- Describe basic principles of inheritance, gene expression, and genomic structure in the context of biological evolution.
- Think analytically and creatively about the applications of basic principles of inheritance and gene expression to interpretations of naturally occurring and experimental biological phenomena.
- Know how genetics provides an experimental approach that can be used to investigate almost any aspect of biology.
- Develop an appreciation that genetics is important to future progress in medical sciences.
- Develop problem solving skills employing logical thought.
Eight Week Summer.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TBA Online Meeting
- Jun 5 - Jul 28, 2023
Instruction Mode: Distance Learning-Asynchronous
Forbidden Overlap: due to an overlap in content, students will not receive credit for both BIOMG 2800 and NTRES 2830. This Online Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=2699
Or send this URL: