- Schedule of Classes - February 11, 2021 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - June 28, 2020 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2019-2020.
The course focuses on face-to-face, public communication, but the principles and practices addressed transfer to all purposeful communication situations. While many assume a good speech rests in how well it is delivered, students will learn that a good speech is equally dependent on the development, structure, and integrity of one's ideas. The objectives of the course are for students to speak effectively and ethically, and listen critically.
When Offered Fall, Spring, Summer.
Permission Note Enrollment preference given to: communication majors and minors, CALS seniors, and CALS juniors.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: fluency in spoken English.
- Students will be able to research, evaluate, and develop ideas about current events.
- Students will be able to analyze communication contexts and adapt their speech to the contexts through a variety of communication strategies.
- Students will be able to apply the principles of effective and ethical speaking in formal presentations.
- Students will be able to apply the principles of effective and ethical speaking in ongoing informal discussions of contemporary controversies.
- Students will be able to listen to others critically, evaluating the effectiveness, truthfulness, and ethics of their words.
Six Week Summer.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- Jun 22 - Jul 31, 2020
Instruction Mode: Distance Learning-Synchronous
This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=105
Disabled for this roster.