- Schedule of Classes - February 11, 2021 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - June 28, 2020 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2019-2020.
Patterns of diversity and processes of evolution. Topics include the diversity of life, the fossil record, macroevolutionary patterns, the genetics and developmental basis of evolutionary change, processes at the population level, evolution by natural selection, modes of speciation, long-term trends in evolution, and human evolution.
When Offered Summer.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: 24 students who are either: a) matriculated students at Cornell, UNH or at any 4-year college or university; or b) incoming freshmen who will arrive at Cornell or UNH in fall.
Distribution Category (BIO-AG, BIOLS-AG, PBS-AS)
- Students will understand the underlying causal principles of evolutionary diversification.
- Students will be able to apply these principles to understand historical and contemporary evolutionary scenarios.
- Students will be able to identify core taxa in the tree of life, their characteristics, and understand the relationships among them.
- Students will be able to use basic conceptual and analytical tools to describe complex relationships within the tree of life.
- Students will be familiar with a number of experimental and synthetic approaches to analyzing and discovering evolutionary processes (microevolution) and establishing evolutionary patterns (macroevolution).
- Students will discuss knowledgeably the dimensions of evolutionary issues that require decisions in our society.
Summer Special Session 2.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- Jul 20 - Aug 14, 2020
Instruction Mode: Distance Learning-Synchronous
This Online Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=2773
Department Consent Required (Add)
Disabled for this roster.