- Schedule of Classes - February 11, 2021 7:14PM EST
- Course Catalog - June 28, 2020 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2019-2020.
Designed for biology majors to provide lab experience with emphasis on processes of scientific investigations and to promote communication, literacy and collaboration in science. Students gain expertise in methods including instrumentation used by biologists to construct new knowledge. Lab topics include genetics, evolution, ecology, biochemistry, and molecular biology.
When Offered Fall, Spring, Summer.
Forbidden Overlaps Forbidden Overlap: due to an overlap in content, students will not receive credit for both BIOG 1500 and PLSCI 1420.
Distribution Category (BIO-AG)
Comments Biological sciences majors must take course for a letter grade.Outcomes
- To expose students to realistic scientific questions and encourage critical thinking, teach how to design hypothesis-based experiments, choose appropriate statistical test(s), analyze data, and interpret results.
- To fill students' scientific "tool box" by demonstrating mastery of modern lab techniques and scientific methods that can later be applied across varied biological systems and scales.
- To teach students how to find relevant scientific information using appropriate library tools, and to communicate effectively using both written and oral formats.
- To teach students how to think through a scientific process with their research group while acquiring conceptual knowledge and understanding the benefits and challenges of collaborative work.
- To teach how to use discovery science to explore patterns in nature, and understand the importance of accuracy and precision.
- To provide students with the opportunity to learn and apply fundamental biological information in the context of the course modules.
Six Week Summer. Choose one lecture and one laboratory.
Credits and Grading Basis
2 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- Jun 22 - Jul 31, 2020
Instruction Mode: Distance Learning-Synchronous
This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=2697
Disabled for this roster.