- Schedule of Classes - July 17, 2019 9:11PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 13, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019.
Evolution is the central concept in biology. This course examines evolution as a science and places it in an historical context. Lectures focus on descent with modification, the nature of natural selection, the history of the earth, the information content of the fossil record, and processes responsible for diversification (speciation and extinction). The science of evolutionary biology is presented in the context of a broader history of ideas in science. The course also explores the importance of evolutionary thinking in the 21st century, including discussion of antibiotic and pesticide resistance, personalized genomics, climate change, and the conflict between creationists and evolutionists.
When Offered Fall, Summer.
Distribution Category (BIOLS-AG, OPHLS-AG, PBS-AS)
- Students should have a basic understanding of evolutionary mechanisms (selection, drift, gene flow).
- Students should have a basic understanding of earth history and of the fossil record, including an appreciation for the time scale over which evolutionary events occur.
- Students should be able to apply the facts and principles of evolutionary biology to new situations, including issues of importance in the 21st century (e.g., antibiotic resistance, influenza virus, personalized genomics, climate change). That is, students should have developed basic critical thinking skills.
- Students should have an appreciation for the history of ideas in evolution and the social/political/religious context in which these ideas first appeared.
Six Week Summer. Combined with: STS 2871
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWCorson-Mudd A409
- Jun 24 - Aug 2, 2019
This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=94
Or send this URL: