- Schedule of Classes - September 16, 2018 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 14, 2018 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2017-2018.
Designed to introduce students to a comparative study of the principal organ systems of vertebrates (i.e., fishes, sea turtles, marine birds, marine mammals) that are specifically adapted to the marine environment. Rather than focusing only on description of anatomical structure, the anatomy of structures will be integrated with function, biological role, and evolutionary relationships. Laboratory exercises cover osteology, dissection, behavior and biomechanics.
When Offered Summer.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: one semester of college-level biology or equivalent.
Distribution Category (PBS-AS)
- Identify structural adaptations of marine vertebrates from the various anatomical systems.
- How marine vertebrates cope with extreme environmental stresses with regard to diving, high pressure, and salinity.
- Examination of sensory modalities associated with the marine environment and depth, including vision, hearing, echolocation, pressure and electroreception.
- Mechanisms of animal movement by integration of structural mechanics, muscle physiology, kinematics and fluid mechanics.
- Demonstrate good dissection technique.
- Show independent thinking through development of a research project.
- Expose students to biomechanical analysis.
- Teach data analysis.
- Examine evolutionary pathways and selective pressures for the development of anatomical systems to function in the marine environment.
- Identify potential design elements from animals for transition to engineered systems using the biomimetic approach.
Summer Special Session 2.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWRFSSu Shoals Marine Lab
- Jul 30 - Aug 13, 2018
Taught at Shoals Marine Lab. This Summer Session class is offered by the School of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. For details visit http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/courses.php?v=2419
Department Consent Required (Add)
Disabled for this roster.