- Schedule of Classes - February 29, 2024 7:33PM EST
- Course Catalog - February 29, 2024 7:07PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2023-2024.
The objective of this course is to provide an interdisciplinary introduction to the science underlying decision making with an emphasis on environmental decisions. The course will introduce the basics of information processing and demonstrate how and why we as humans often make 'bad' decisions. They will study how policy makers are able to intervene and influence people's behavior. Throughout the course students will work in groups to try to influence an environmental behavior around campus or town- developing an experiment and executing it. In the process students will learn how to write up an academic study that provides rational, justification, and analysis of the results of your experiment.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: Graduate students should have previously taken (at the undergraduate or graduate level) a research methods course (qual or quant), that covers major topics in design, methods, and sampling.
Distribution Category (SBA-AG)
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
- Use the lens of behavioral science to understand environmental problems and the implications for sustainability.
- Articulate the core drivers of environmental decision-making and barriers to pro-environmental behavior.
- Develop a behavioral experiment to test interventions for increasing sustainable behavior.
- Assess the behavioral outcomes of various environmental policy interventions.
- Write a clear academic manuscript contextualizing and analyzing the results of an experimental study.
- Apply decision science to their own academic research.
- Develop and write an effective research proposal for their own empirical study.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: GDEV 3680
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MW Warren Hall 173
- Jan 22 - May 7, 2024
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: