- Schedule of Classes - June 7, 2023 8:54PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 7, 2023 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
Introduction to optical waveguides and photonic devices. Review of optical wave propagation in uniform media and at interfaces. Gaussian beams and diffraction. Modes, dispersion, and fundamental relations/symmetries. Interferometers and resonators. Guided waves in optical fibers and planar dielectric systems. Perturbation theory, coupling of modes, adiabatic variation, and parallels to quantum phenomena. Electro- and acousto-optics. Survey of system applications, including photonic interconnects and quantum technologies. Numerical methods, and project design of planar optical components.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: ECE 3030.
Comments Culminating design experience (CDE) course.Outcomes
- Students will be able to understand optical wave propagation in structured media
- Students will be able to understand modes, modal coupling, and application in photonic devices.
- Students will be able to understand active electro- and acousto-optic devices and their applications.
- Students will be able to analyze, simulate, and design planar photonic components.
Or send this URL: