- Schedule of Classes - June 7, 2023 8:54PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 7, 2023 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
Introduction to the operation, physics, and application of lasers. The course covers diffraction-limited optics, Gaussian beams, optical resonators, the interaction of radiation with matter, stimulated emission, rate equations, and laser design. Examples of coherent radiation to nonlinear optics, communication, and leading-edge research are frequently used. Course concludes with a lab where students design and then build a laser.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Recommended prerequisite: ECE 3030 or equivalent.
- Be able to analytically design and physically construct a functional laser with simple optics.
- Understand the general operating principles of laser systems, and be knowledgeable of specific systems (e.g. tunable, ultrafast, high power, fiber and semiconductor lasers).
- Understand how to design and the physics behind continuous wave operation, mode locking, Q-switching, and harmonic generation.
- Be able to design a laser optic system using mirrors, lenses and gain media based on Gaussian beam analysis.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWF Phillips Hall 213
- Jan 23 - May 9, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: