- Schedule of Classes - May 31, 2023 7:54PM EDT
- Course Catalog - May 31, 2023 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
High-throughput sequencing has revolutionized and become common practice across the field of microbiology. This course will prepare students for analyzing large sequencing datasets through a meaningful biological lens. Via a combination of lectures, discussions of primary literature, and hands-on, data-driven computational labs, we will learn how to organize computational projects, work in the command line, perform cloud computing, and gather, interpret, and analyze amplicon, genomic, and shot-gun metagenomic data to advance our understanding of microbial systems. We will evaluate the distribution of microbial biodiversity and gene abundances and compare the taxonomic and genomic composition of microbial communities. This course is geared towards graduate students and upper-level undergraduate students across biology. We will focus on how to use software for biological analyses while touching on broader concepts of statistical algorithms. (Note: the specifics of statistical models will not be the focus.) No prior knowledge of coding is required as an introduction to coding and data science will be covered in the first unit of the course.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIOMI 2900/BIOMI 2911, BIOMG 2800.
- Develop proficiency in command line tools and cloud computing within the shell.
- Explain and compare the different sequencing technologies and their applications to microbial gene and genome analysis.
- Evaluate various meanings of diversity and interpret compositional changes in microbial communities through statistical approaches.
- Explore, visualize, and statistically test hypotheses in R.
- Analyze the quality of sequencing data and (meta)genome assembly.
- Identify publicly available resources for microbial sequencing data.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Opt NoAud(Letter or S/U grades (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Stocking Hall 201
- Jan 23 - May 9, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
If the course is full please join the wait list by clicking on the following Qualtrics link. https://cornell.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2mkJ8YKtfL0EwaG
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: