- Schedule of Classes - May 31, 2023 7:54PM EDT
- Course Catalog - May 31, 2023 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2022-2023.
Advanced course in evolutionary biology focusing on the pattern and process of speciation and the nature and origin of behavioral, morphological, physiological, and ecological traits that form the intrinsic barriers to gene exchange. Lecture topics include species concepts and definitions, the history of ideas about speciation, the biological basis of intrinsic barriers to gene exchange, current models for the origin of such barriers, genetic architecture of speciation, rates of speciation. Emphasis is on developing a rigorous conceptual framework for discussing speciation and on detailed analysis of a series of case histories.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIOEE 1780 or BIOEE 1781 or equivalent, or permission of instructor.
Distribution Category (BIO-AS, PBS-AS)
- Understand phylogenetics, how evolutionary trees serve as a framework for interpreting evolutionary history, and the distinction between gene trees and species trees.
- Understand basic principles of population genetics and the utility of population genetic analyses in estimating gene flow, inferring selection, etc.
- Understand the diversity of species concepts and what they imply.
- Understand how gene flow, natural and sexual selection, and recombination operate in natural populations to promote and/or inhibit divergence of populations.
- Develop familiarity with basic models of speciation (e.g., vicariance, sympatric, reinforcement, polyploidy).
- Develop familiarity with case histories that illustrate the above models.
- Understand where and when barriers act in the life cycle of organisms.
- Develop familiarity with specific examples of reproductive barriers.
- Understand how data are collected and analyzed.
- Develop the ability to think critically about data from observation and experiment.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: BIONB 4530
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Corson-Mudd A409
- Jan 23 - May 9, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: