- Schedule of Classes - June 10, 2022 7:44AM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 9, 2022 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
Hard cider consumption has expanded rapidly over the last decade. Want to learn why? This course covers the scientific basis of cider production from orchard to bottle and provides an overview of the history and culture of cider. We will also review the current market trends and the economics of growing hard cider apples and producing cider. The suitability of producing cider will be contrasted with wine production in NYS. Each class will include tastings so that students receive a robust overview of typical cider flavors, an introduction to different cider styles, and gain an ability to determine the cause of off-flavors and other faults.
When Offered Spring.
Fees Course fee: $25 to cover the costs of tastings and supplies.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: one college level biology, one college level chemistry, or permission of instructor.
- Articulate the importance of cider to different regions of the world.
- Explain the differences between different apple varieties, their horticultural performance & chemical differences, and how different cultivars contribute to ciders.
- Explain fundamental chemical and biological changes that occur during cider fermentation.
- Demonstrate mechanics of cider tasting & recognition of key cider flavor attributes.
- Describe the cider supply chain from orchard to consumer.
Seven Week - First. Combined with: VIEN 2340
Credits and Grading Basis
1 Credit GradeNoAud(Letter grades only (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Stocking Hall 146
- Jan 24 - Mar 15, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Disabled for this roster.