- Schedule of Classes - January 20, 2022 7:27PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 20, 2022 7:14PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
Leadership development for Plant Sciences peer mentors, which includes, but is not limited to, learning how to: model and foster a healthy, positive experience for first-year students; respond to student concerns; encourage mentees to identify social and academic needs, and take advantage of campus-based resources; refer students to resources for health, well-being and academic guidance; serve as an important first-semester guide; communicate with faculty leads and encourage mentee connections with university professionals who align with academic, research and/or social interests; reflect on and articulate experiences with other mentors throughout the semester. May include opportunity for peer mentoring of transfer students with a particular focus on research and preparation for an honors thesis.
When Offered Fall, Spring.
- Recognize signs of concern and distress in first-year students.
- Become familiar with campus resources, listen to transitional issues, and confer with faculty leads to steer first-year students to necessary support.
- Recommend appropriate social and other campus-based activities.
- Model excellent study habits, as well as how to engage with others in collaborative settings that foster learning.
- Collaborate with other mentors to increase peer-to-peer and peer-to-university professional interactions among first-year students.
- Model and articulate how mistakes and failure are a natural part of the learning process, as well as an opportunity for growth.
- Model attributes of positive mentoring, including compassion, responsiveness, integrity and confidentiality.
- Assist mentees in identifying their research interests and provide guidance about opportunities through the Plant Sciences Research Honors Program, Office of Engagement Initiatives, internships and lab positions, and other program venues.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
1-2 Credits S/U NoAud(Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (no audit))
Or send this URL: