- Schedule of Classes - January 25, 2022 7:27PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 25, 2022 7:14PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
Development is a civic process and kind of work in pursuit of dynamic and contested ends, with complex social dimensions that are economic, political, historical, philosophical, and cultural in nature. In this introductory course, we will use a variety of active learning methods to map and explore the social and economic dimensions of development. Together we will examine leading edges of theory and practice, as well as long-standing and newly emerging lines of disagreement and difference. We will work to achieve critical as well as appreciative understandings of key ideas, theories, approaches, frameworks, models, tools, and practices.
When Offered Spring.
Distribution Category (CA-AG, SBA-AG)
- Name the major social and economic dimensions of development, and understand how and why people have come to disagree about their nature, meaning and significance.
- Develop situational theories of change to evaluate competing ideas, theories, and models of development.
- Exercise a prophetic sociological imagination (definition to be discussed in class) that is not only critical but also hopeful and energizing.
- Summarize and evaluate competing views in addressing issues of poverty and inequality.
- Understand economic perspectives of concepts of development as related to poverty and inequality; the drivers of productivity and economic growth; human capital development; and economic externalities, especially as related to the environment.
- Explain patterns of change as countries and/or regions move from low income to middle or high income status.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: DSOC 2070
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Warren Hall B02
- Jan 24 - May 10, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Please contact Lynn Morris (lm747) to be added to the waitlist.
Department Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: