- Schedule of Classes - June 10, 2022 7:44AM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 9, 2022 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
Covers functional foods and nutraceuticals, bioactive compounds, antioxidants and dietary supplements, micronutrient fortification, botanicals, and herbs in disease prevention and health promotion. Emphasizes the mechanisms of action and scientific evidence of efficacy. Biomarkers, safety and efficacy testing, and regulations for functional foods and nutraceuticals are discussed.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: basic biochemistry course or permission of instructor.
- Provide students with the latest information on the rapidly growing field of functional foods and dietary supplements, including bioactive compounds, antioxidants, botanicals and herbs, biomarkers and regulations.
- Apply the scientific principles necessary to evaluate the benefits and risk of functional foods and dietary supplements.
- Explain the roles of nutrients and bioactive compounds in functional foods and dietary supplements that impact human health.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: FDSC 6220
Credits and Grading Basis
2 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- WF Stocking Hall M01
- Jan 24 - May 10, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Prerequisite: Basic biochemistry course or permission of instructor.
Disabled for this roster.