- Schedule of Classes - June 10, 2022 7:44AM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 9, 2022 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
Marine microorganisms fuel globally significant elemental cycles through their activities. They also drive diseases in multicellular life through pathogenesis, modulation of host-associated microbiomes, and through induction of stressors (e.g. toxins, hypoxia). The purpose of this course is to provide junior- and senior-level students a background in biological oceanography, marine microbial ecology, biogeochemistry, and disease pathogenesis in marine habitats. The emphasis of the course is on understanding how biology affects and is affected by the oceans, and how organisms interact to produce ocean biological phenomena. The course is divided into 4 modules: 1) Marine microbial diversity and ocean structure; 2) Ocean biogeochemistry; 3) Marine disease pathogenesis; and 4) Pollution and climate change. This course will equip students with foundations for further undergraduate courses in ocean sciences and environmental dynamics, and for graduate studies in biological oceanography and marine biology.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIOEE 1610, BIOEE 1780. Recommended prerequisite: BIOEE 1540/EAS 1540.
Distribution Category (PBS-AS, BIO-AS)
- Describe the taxonomic and functional diversity of marine microorganisms in both natural and human influenced habitats of the ocean.
- Examine the contributions of each group of marine organisms, from viruses through metazoa, to overall ecosystem function and elemental cycling.
- Access the current threats to marine ecosystems on local and global scales through pollution and climate change.
- Describe how microorganisms cause disease, and how diseases influence marine ecosystems.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: BIOMI 3500
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MW Warren Hall B02
- Jan 24 - May 10, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Disabled for this roster.