- Schedule of Classes - January 25, 2022 7:27PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 25, 2022 7:14PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
This course is designed to help prepare students for engaging with external partners in respectful and reciprocally beneficial ways and making the most of these valuable learning opportunities. Learning will involve (1) examining engagement as pedagogy and practice, and why it is seen as central to the study and future practice of global development; (2) reviewing principles of engagement and development practice, considering how they align and differ; (3) exploring multicultural competencies and how past experiences influence our perspectives of others and others' perspectives of us; (4) practicing reflection as a way of discerning insights; and (5) articulating a personal approach to engagement as a guide to engaged and experiential learning across the global development major and other learning opportunities going forward.
When Offered Spring.
- Explain engaged and experiential learning principles, as well as how these principles matter for development practice.
- Utilize appropriate vocabulary to identify and analyze issues of inequity, identity, and development.
- Identify power differences and other potential sources of inequities they might encounter in the engaged and experiential global development learning opportunities, as well as actions they can take to minimize these inequities in the context of their engaged experience.
- Evaluate the role of interdisciplinary and systems thinking in approaches to development practice.
- Summarize the various opportunities for engaged learning in the department, their own goals for engaged learning and how this informs which opportunities (and internship) they pursue.
- Develop a personal approach to engaged and experiential learning across the global development major and other similar learning contexts.
Seven Week - First. Combined with: IARD 1104
Credits and Grading Basis
1 Credit S/U NoAud(Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- W Plant Science Building 114
- Jan 24 - Mar 15, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Department Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: