- Schedule of Classes - January 23, 2022 7:28PM EST
- Course Catalog - January 23, 2022 7:15PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
Comprehensive introduction to biologically important molecules and polymers. Topics include: protein structure and function, enzyme catalysis, metabolic regulatory pathways, DNA and RNA structure, DNA replication and repair, modern DNA technologies, gene expression, and protein synthesis.
When Offered Spring, Summer.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: one majors-level biology course and one year general chemistry, any of the following organic chemistry courses: CHEM 1570, or CHEM 3530, or CHEM 3570, or CHEM 3590, or equivalent, or permission of instructor.
Comments Biological sciences majors must take course for a letter grade.Outcomes
- After taking BIOMG 3350, students should be able to: Discuss and/or describe in writing: The structure and function of biologically important macromolecules, general catalytic and regulatory mechanisms of enzymes, the energetics and organization of metabolic pathways, the mechanisms underlying gene expression (transcription), protein synthesis (translation), DNA replication, DNA repair, and DNA recombination.
- Think analytically and use quantitative reasoning to solve biochemical problems.
- Formulate conclusions based on the analysis of biochemical experimental results.
- Establish foundations to understand concurrent progresses in biology and medicine.
- Students should recognize that the advancement of sciences is contributed by collaborative work from a wide variety of backgrounds and beliefs.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: BIOMG 3350
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MTWR Morrison Hall 146
- Jan 24 - May 10, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Prerequisite: one majors-level biology course; and one year general chemistry, and CHEM 1570, or CHEM 3570-3580; or equivalents, or permission of instructor. CHEM 3580 may be co-registration. May not be taken for credit after BIOMG 3300, BIOMG 3310, BIOMG 3320, BIOMG 3330 or NS 3200. Biological sciences majors must take course for a letter grade.
Or send this URL: