- Schedule of Classes - June 10, 2022 7:44AM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 9, 2022 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
Fish Physiology is an introduction to the functional biology of fish. Lecture topics will cover cellular and tissue function within key physiological systems that help fish thrive in a wide range of aquatic habitats, from mountain streams to deep-sea vents. These systems will be illustrated using a diverse variety of fish, while broader comparisons between fish and higher vertebrates will also be drawn. Discussion will integrate aquaculture, fisheries, and environmental contexts, including some of the anthropogenic challenges that fish face today and what can be done to mitigate them. Students will perform a gross dissection to identify anatomy in situ and visit an aquaculture facility (there is no separate lab section).
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: one semester of Introductory Animal Physiology (BIOAP 1100, BIOG 1440, BIOG 1445 or equivalent), or permission of instructor.
Distribution Category (PBS-AS, BIO-AS)
- Students will be able to characterize various physiological systems that fish use to live in an aquatic environment.
- Students will be able to describe how these systems adjust to environmental changes in the short and long term.
- Students will be able to explain physiological differences between groups of fishes.
- Students will be able to explain how physiological systems in fish may be similar to, differ from, or have evolved into those in terrestrial vertebrates.
- Students will be able to discuss how unsustainable resource management and human perturbations in the environment affect fish at the physiological level.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits GradeNoAud(Letter grades only (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Morrison Hall 334
- Jan 24 - May 10, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Contact Lindsay Glasner (Lig27@cornell.edu) to be added to the waitlist.
Department Consent Required (Add)
Disabled for this roster.