- Schedule of Classes - June 10, 2022 7:44AM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 9, 2022 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
The course will integrate animal nutrition, biochemistry, and physiology. The overall goal is to enhance understanding of intermediary metabolism and metabolic adaptations that develop to support different physiological states. The comparative study of biochemistry across mammalian species will be emphasized. The structural and functional roles of biochemicals and the ability of hormones to influence their metabolic fate will be highlighted.
When Offered Spring.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: graduate students.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIOAP 1100, ANSC 2120 or equivalents.
- Students will be able to integrate basic and complex metabolic pathways that converge to maintain energy homeostasis and life in mammals.
- Students will be able to identify shifts in metabolism that develop to support changes in physiological states such as starvation, growth, pregnancy, and lactation.
- Students will be able to define the relationship between nutrition and metabolism with an emphasis on anabolic and catabolic reactions that are specific for unique tissues.
- Students will be able to compare and contrast nutritional physiology and biochemistry in various mammalian species with conserved metabolic adaptations to support their survival in unique environments.
- Students will be able to recognize the critical role of endocrine hormones on energy metabolism.
- Students will be able to define key intracellular signaling pathways that fundamentally link endocrine hormones with their metabolic action.
- Students will be able to gain an understanding of nutritional physiology and biochemistry within the context of contemporary animal production challenges that influence health and performance.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: ANSC 4410
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWF Morrison Hall 163
- Jan 24 - May 10, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Disabled for this roster.