- Schedule of Classes - June 10, 2022 7:44AM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 9, 2022 7:14PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2021-2022.
This course offers students a broad view of biological, environmental, and social aspects of various animal systems for sustainable food production, economic development, and human companionship in the US and world. The mission, importance, status, and challenges of the milk, meat, egg, and fish production systems will be covered. It will also introduce the rapidly increasing ownership of horses and pets and assess their impacts on life quality and mental health of the public, global food security, and anthropogenic contribution to climate change. Integrations of scientific breakthrough, technology innovation, and societal and behavioral transformation will be explored to enhance the efficiency and environmental compatibility of various animal systems. Students will participate in discussion and case-studies for mitigations to nurture sustainability of animal systems.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: Introductory level course in biology or animal science.
- Understand the roles and importance of various animal systems in providing the global and local communities with milk, meat, eggs, fish, co-products, recreation, and companionship.
- Identify and analyze the major biological, economic, environmental, and social challenges and issues of the animal systems facing the US and the world.
- Reveal origins and reasons of the problems hindering sustainable animal systems and propose effective and feasible solutions for overcoming these obstacles.
- Evaluate various predictions of regional and global demands and impacts of the animal sourced-foods and pets.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MW Morrison Hall 146
- Jan 24 - May 10, 2022
Instruction Mode: In Person
Prerequisite: Introductory level course in biology or animal science
Disabled for this roster.