- Schedule of Classes - September 9, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 9, 2021 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021.
Community engagement provides exciting opportunitiesfor students to learn about the needs of our communities. This course will expose students to the history and importance of public engagement, at Cornell and beyond, and provide practical, hands-on instruction of skills used in public engagement. These skills include public speaking, writing, branding, as well as training in video production and social media. The course will explore strategies for engaging with different community partners including growers, K-12 students and teachers, international communities, and governmental/political/NGO engagement, as well as generational differences and diversity challenges faced within different communities. Colleagues from Cornell Cooperative Extension and across the University with expertise in specific engagement areas will be involved in the course.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: distribution-level biology course.
Comments Graduate students should enroll in PLSCI 5940; undergrads in PLSCI 3940.Outcomes
- Describe extension/outreach and engagement and put this into context of Cornell's land grant mission.
- Identify engagement/outreach opportunities and build the trust amongst diverse audiences necessary for developing and sustaining community partnerships.
- Find and evaluate reputable primary and secondary sources for developing outreach.
- Interact with diverse audiences such as homeowners, growers, K-12 students and teachers, and international communities while enhancing diversity and inclusion.
- Enhance traditional outreach methods including public speaking, interaction and engagement skills along with writing for the public, including scientific content.
- Engage the public through social media, video production, and the mass media.
- Assess the impact of engagement.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: PLSCI 5940
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Online Meeting
- Feb 8 - May 14, 2021
Instruction Mode: Online
Prerequisite: Distribution-level biology course.
Disabled for this roster.