- Schedule of Classes - September 9, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 9, 2021 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021.
The co-evolutionary molecular battle between microbial pathogens and plants has game-like properties whose rules are emerging from recent genomic, biochemical, and cell biological advances. This course explores the molecular pieces and collective behaviors of pathogen virulence and plant immune systems, similarities between interaction mechanisms in plant and animal pathosystems, and the application of this knowledge to sustainable agriculture. The course emphasizes the development of professional skills, such as the management of scientific literature, creative design and critical evaluation of research, communication of complex scientific concepts to diverse audiences, and discussion of environmental issues associated with transgene-based disease management strategies. Students write and peer review research proposals.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: introductory genetics (BIOMG 2800, BIOMG 2801 or PLBRG 2250) or biochemistry (BIOMG 3300 or BIOMG 3310, and BIOMG 3320 or equivalent) or PLPPM 3010, or permission of instructor.
- Search the primary literature on molecular plant-microbe interactions for information and manage literature libraries.
- Evaluate research papers from the current and historical literature on molecular plant-microbe interactions.
- Interpret and synthesize quantitative and qualitative data from the primary literature on molecular plant-microbe interactions into written proposals and oral presentations.
- Explain the different players involved in pathogen virulence and plant defense, the different categories of molecular interaction in plant immunity, how signals are transmitted, strategies used for discovery, similarities between interaction mechanisms in plant and animal pathosystems, and application of this knowledge to agriculture.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Online Meeting
- Feb 8 - May 14, 2021
Instruction Mode: Online
Prerequisite: introductory genetics (BIOMG 2800, BIOMG 2801 or PLBRG 2250) or biochemistry (BIOMG 3300 or BIOMG 3310, and BIOMG 3320 or equivalent) or PLPPM 3010, or permission of instructor.
Disabled for this roster.