- Schedule of Classes - September 9, 2021 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 9, 2021 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021.
A survey in contemporary space technology from satellite subsystem design through launch and mission operations, focusing on the classical subsystems of robotic and human-rated spacecraft, rockets, planetary rovers, and habitats, and with an emphasis on issue of spacecraft-system architecture and design. Topics covered include subsystem technologies and the systems-engineering principles that tie them together into a spacecraft architecture. Subsystem technologies discussed include communications, thermal subsystems, structure, guidance/navigation/control, spacecraft power, space propulsion, payloads (remote sensing, insitu sensing, human life support), entry/descent/landing, surface mobility, and flight-computer hardware and software. The final project consists of architecting a complete spacecraft system with appropriate subsystems, with designs supported by parametric analysis and simulation. Discussions of current problems and trends in spacecraft operation and development. Students will report expectations in a space-system design project in a senior design report.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: MAE 3260 and MAE 4060, or permission of instructor.
Satisfies Requirement Satisfies M.E. senior design requirement.Outcomes
- Students will understand, at a higher systems level, space missions and systems, and how the space environment and mission requirements drive spacecraft design.
- Students will understand the basic fundamentals of spacecraft subsystems, including propulsion, attitude determination and control, power, structures, thermal, communications, and command and data handling.
- Students will understand typical practices for designing space systems in a contemporary context of US commercial space and government agencies.
- Students will be able to simulate a spacecraft in operation using state of the art tools, and identify and characterize subsystems for a preliminary spacecraft design.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- MW Online Meeting
- Feb 8 - May 14, 2021
Instruction Mode: Online
Limited to M.E. Seniors: Fulfills M.E. Senior Design requirement. Prerequisites, MAE 3260 and MAE 4060, strictly enforced.
Disabled for this roster.