- Schedule of Classes - March 3, 2021 7:15PM EST
- Course Catalog - March 3, 2021 7:16PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021.
This course explores the molecular and genetic pathways and mechanisms that regulate animal development, and how they are modified through evolution to result in the dazzling array of forms and functions seen in the animal kingdom.
When Offered Spring (not offered every year).
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIOEE 1780, BIOMG 2800 and BIOMG 3300 (or BIOMG 3320 or BIOMG 3330 or BIOMG 3350). Strongly recommended prerequisite: BIOMG 1350. (BIOMG 3850 is helpful but not required).
Distribution Category (PBS-AS, BIO-AS)
- After completing this course, you can expect to: Possess a working knowledge of the developmental pathways that specify body form, and how they are used and integrated across organisms. [We will explore this first in the model systems in which they are best-understood, and then move on to other systems.] This knowledge includes understanding: a. where and how these conserved developmental pathways and genes are expressed, used, re-used, and co-opted to result in the diverse structures/phenotypes we see in the animal kingdom. [One flower-EvoDevo lecture will be presented as well, for comparison.] b. how these pathways and their use can be integrated into a phylogenetic context. c. the underlying molecular/genetic regulatory mechanisms, as well as the modifications and constraints on them that result in the expressions and functions discussed earlier in the course.
- Be familiar with, and able to interpret and analyze critically, current and "classic" ideas, results and hypotheses in EvoDevo, through readings and lecture/discussion of scientific research papers.
- Be able to communicate orally or (briefly) in writing the ideas, results and concepts in EvoDevo.
- Have made intellectual connections across the content of this course with information that you learned in other biology courses.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TROnline Meeting
- Feb 8 - May 14, 2021
Instruction Mode: Online
Prerequisite: BIOEE 1780, BIOMG 2800 and a course in Molecular Biology (BIOMG 3300, 3320, 3330, or 3350). Recommended prerequisite BIOMG 3850.
Or send this URL: