- Schedule of Classes - March 3, 2021 7:15PM EST
- Course Catalog - March 3, 2021 7:16PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2020-2021.
Comprehensive introduction to biologically important molecules and polymers. Topics include: protein structure and function, enzyme catalysis, metabolic regulatory pathways, DNA and RNA structure, DNA replication and repair, modern DNA technologies, gene expression, and protein synthesis.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: one majors-level biology course and one year general chemistry, any of the following organic chemistry courses: CHEM 1570, or CHEM 3530, or CHEM 3570, or CHEM 3590, or equivalent, or permission of instructor.
Forbidden Overlaps Forbidden Overlap: due to an overlap in content, students will receive credit for only one course in the following group: BIOMG 3300, BIOMG 3310 and BIOMG 3320, BIOMG 3330, BIOMG 3350, NS 3200.
Distribution Category (PBS-AS, BIO-AS)
Comments Biological sciences majors must take course for a letter grade.Outcomes
- After taking BIOMG 3350, students should be able to: Discuss and/or describe in writing: The structure and function of biologically important macromolecules General catalytic and regulatory mechanisms of enzymes, The energetics and organization of metabolic pathways, The mechanisms underlying gene expression (transcription), protein synthesis (translation), DNA replication, DNA repair, and DNA recombination.
- Think analytically and use quantitative reasoning to solve biochemical problems.
- Formulate conclusions based on the analysis of biochemical experimental results.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TBA Online Meeting
- Feb 8 - May 14, 2021
Instruction Mode: Distance Learning-Asynchronous
Prerequisite: one majors-level biology course; and one year general chemistry, and CHEM 1570, or CHEM 3570-3580; or equivalents, or permission of instructor. CHEM 3580 may be co-registration. May not be taken for credit after BIOMG 3300, BIOMG 3310, BIOMG 3320, BIOMG 3330 or NS 3200. Biological sciences majors must take course for a letter grade.
Or send this URL: