- Schedule of Classes - June 25, 2020 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 25, 2020 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2019-2020.
This course introduces the properties and performance of textile materials and processes for FSAD majors and provides a general overview of the textile industry from a scientific perspective. Focus is on materials used in apparel and home furnishing markets. This course may also be used to fill a science requirement for non-FSAD majors in Human Ecology. Chemistry and mechanics of typical materials and processes used in the textile industry will be addressed with emphasis placed on the relationship between the materials and processes used and the final properties of the fabric.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Corequisite for FSAD majors: FSAD 1360.
Distribution Category (PBS-HE)
- Fibers: Understand the basic processes for forming textile fibers. Understand the basic chemistry of polymers used to form textile fibers. Understand the relationship between chemistry and processing of fibers and the fiber properties and end uses.
- Fabrics: Be able to identify yarn structures and the relationship of the structure to properties and end uses. Recognize major types of fabric formation including knitting, weaving and nonwoven. Understand how fiber content and yarn and fabric structure relate to end properties of the fabric.
- Dyeing and Finishing: Recognize how finishing processes can be used to enhance fabric properties. Understand the basic finishing processes such as desizing, scouring and bleaching. Understand basic chemistry of flame retardant, stain resistant and water repellant finishes. Recognize various dyeing and printing processes used on fabrics. Understand basic relationship between fiber chemistry and dyeing chemistry.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWFM Van Rensselaer Hall G73
- Jan 21 - May 5, 2020
Instruction Mode: Hybrid - Online & In Person
Disabled for this roster.