- Schedule of Classes - May 22, 2019 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - May 22, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019.
An interactive-field and lab course designed to provide direct experience with some of the most important field methods and analytical techniques used to examine species, ecosystem and community-level function, structure, and value, especially within the context of contemporary conservation ecology and evolutionary theory. Tools include field sampling techniques, resource and conservation mapping, spatial referencing, GIS, measures of biodiversity, and manual and automated techniques for studying soil, stream, forest, terrestrial, and marine biota and related physical factors. The class is designed to provide a strong background in field research methods and theory related to ecological conservation.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIOEE 3610 or permission of instructor.
Distribution Category (OPHLS-AG)
- Students will understand and discuss perceptions, personal values, and effective tools to motivate people towards conservation.
- Encourage critical analyses, broad philosophical understanding, and integration of a variety of information sources including web-based and media reports, along with scientific publications.
- Students will be able to use scientific measurements and analyses to distinguish opinion from fact-based decisions.
- Students will participate in weekly class discussions based on diverse perspectives and philosophies.
- Students are required to give individual and group presentations, as well as numerous short essays and a final written report. The use of multiple forms of media will be encouraged and rewarded.
- Students will be evaluated based on independent work, quizzes, and presentations, along with weekly group exercises and two group presentations.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- FRice Hall 301
Prerequisite: College-level biology or permission of instructor. Enrollment limited to: Seniors and juniors who have taken college-level biology. All others need permission. If class is full, students can contact Dr. Morreale (email@example.com) to inquire about being waitlisted.
Or send this URL: