- Schedule of Classes - December 12, 2018 7:15PM EST
- Course Catalog - December 12, 2018 7:16PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019.
Introductory course in vertebrate organismal biology that explores the anatomy and function of vertebrates with an emphasis on trends in vertebrate evolution. Lectures cover topics such as the origin, anatomy, physiology, and evolution of various vertebrate groups, with a focus on organ systems (such as the nervous, circulatory, and respiratory systems), life history, locomotion, behavior, and conservation. This course prepares students for advanced courses on the biology of fishes, amphibians and reptiles, birds, and mammals; pre-vet and pre-med students benefit from its comparative anatomical approach to understanding the organization of the vertebrate body.
When Offered Spring.
Fees Course fee: $25.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: two majors-level biology courses.
Distribution Category (OPHLS-AG, PBS-AS)
- Students will be able to describe how the ten major organ systems interact in a vertebrate's body.
- Students will be able to identify major anatomical structures in diverse vertebrate species, including cartilaginous and bony fishes, amphibians, mammals, reptiles and birds.
- Students will understand major events and comparative anatomical transitions in the evolutionary history of vertebrates, such as the origin of land vertebrates.
- Students will be able to classify vertebrate species to the appropriate major group using correct scientific names, e.g., sharks and other cartilaginous fishes are Chondrichthyes.
- Students will be able to look at the anatomy of a living or fossil vertebrate and be able to make logical predictions about its way of life.
- Students will understand that different groups of vertebrates have different life histories that impose different conservation concerns and outcomes.
Choose one lecture and one laboratory.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWFMalott Hall 228-Bache Aud
Prerequisite: two majors-level biology courses. Course Fee: $25.
Or send this URL: