- Schedule of Classes - June 2, 2019 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 2, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019.
Provides students with the opportunity to study birds intensively in a neotropical environment. Students learn observational and field techniques, formulate and participate in group research projects.
When Offered Multi-semester course, Spring (weeks 1-7).
Permission Note Enrollment primarily for: students with limited or no bird knowledge.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIOEE 2640 and BIOEE 2641.
Course Attribute (CU-ITL)
- Students will learn to find literature, read and interpret literature relevant for the course.
- Students will be able to understand and explain what observed bird behavior means (foraging, aggressive, territorial, reproductive,…) and place it in the relevant ecological context.
- Students will be able to ask critical questions about scientific papers, discuss them and summarize their main findings.
- Students will learn how to observe animal behavior in the field and how to record their observations (find and identify observed birds, place them in the proper taxonomic group; describe their observations supported with field sketches).
- Students will design field observations and experiments required to test hypotheses and carry out the necessary field work.
- Students will be able to analyze and interpret observations in collaboration with peers, explain and defend their interpretations and conclusions.
- Students will learn to extract information to formulate research hypotheses and develop an observation protocol to carry out the fieldwork in order to collect critical data (observations, experiments) to test their hypotheses.
- Students will be able to write up their results in the format of a scientific publication.
Seven Week - First.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- FCorson-Mudd A409
- Jan 22 - Mar 9, 2019
Prerequisites: BIOEE 2460 and BIOEE 2461. Final section of multi-term class.
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Disabled for this roster.