- Schedule of Classes - June 2, 2019 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 2, 2019 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2018-2019.
This course provides an introduction to the economic foundations for public decision-making regarding environmental quality and natural resources. Emphasis is placed on how basic tools of economic analysis can be used to identify sources of environmental problems and solutions to these problems. Topics to be covered include "individual hand" concepts underlying market success, market failure with particular focus on public goods and externalities, benefit-cost analysis and non-market valuation, incentive-based policies for controlling pollution, and economic aspects of renewable and non-renewable resources.
When Offered Spring.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: Non-Dyson School students. Enrollment preference given to: ESS majors.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: MATH 1106 or MATH 1110 or equivalent.
Forbidden Overlaps Forbidden Overlap: due to an overlap in content, students will not receive credit for both AEM 1500 and AEM 2500. Students who have already taken Introductory Microeconomics should enroll in AEM 2500.
Distribution Category (SBA-AG)
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
- Understand how economic incentives influence individual and group behavior and how this knowledge can be used to explain and address environmental challenges.
- Develop the ability to identify the range of potential economic costs and benefits of a particular environmental policy and the array of economic tools that can be used to estimate these costs and benefits.
- Improve critical thinking skills to assess the tradeoffs inherent to a broad range of contemporary environmental issues.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- MWWarren Hall 151
Forbidden Overlap: AEM 2500. Students who have already taken Introductory Microeconomics should enroll in AEM 2500. Enrollment limited to: ESS majors.
Or send this URL: