- Schedule of Classes - June 18, 2018 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 14, 2018 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2017-2018.
Comprehensive course in molecular biology that covers the structure and properties of DNA, DNA replication and repair, synthesis and processing of RNA and proteins, the regulation of gene expression, and the principles and applications of recombinant DNA technologies, genomics, and proteomics.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: one majors-level biology course; prerequisite or corequisite: one course in organic chemistry; or permission of instructor.
Forbidden Overlaps Forbidden Overlap: Students may receive credit for only one course in the following group: BIOMG 3300, BIOMG 3310-BIOMG 3320, BIOMG 3330, BIOMG 3350, NS 3200.
- After taking BIOMG 3320, students should be able to: Discuss and describe in writing: • Nucleic acids: chemical composition, biological function, DNA sequence evolution. Nucleic acid technologies and techniques; recombinant DNA. • Genomes: composition, complexity and diversity. Sequencing: from gene fragments to whole-genomes; comparative genomics. • Chromatin: genome and DNA topology, associated proteins, higher-order structures. • DNA replication and recombination: mechanisms, repair, telomeres. • Transcription, prokaryotic and eukaryotic; regulation. • RNA: classes, processing; non-coding RNA. • Translation: genetic code, mechanism, proteomics; post-translational modifications.
- Think analytically and use quantitative reasoning to solve biochemical problems.
- Formulate conclusions based on the analysis of biochemical experimental results.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
2 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Kennedy Hall 116-Call Aud
Prerequisite: one majors-level biology course; prerequisite or corequisite: one course in organic chemistry; or permission of instructor. May not be taken for credit after BIOMG 3300 or BIOMG 3330 or BIOMG 3350.
Disabled for this roster.