- Schedule of Classes - June 18, 2017 7:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 14, 2017 7:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2016-2017.
The course will take advantage of the species diversity of marine invertebrates in the Salish Sea of the Pacific Northwest, the huge variation in easily accessible field habitats and the excellent research-oriented facilities of Friday Harbor Laboratories. Like BIOEE 3730 - [Biodiversity and Biology of the Marine Invertebrates], the course will be a survey of phyletic diversity of all the marine invertebrates but will be more in depth in exploring class and order-level diversity within each phylum. The excellent running seawater facilities in each laboratory will allow detailed behavioral and morphological observation of different invertebrates. Students will be exposed to lectures and labs focused on each group and be responsible for weekly video summaries and notebook recordings of their observations.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: Intro Biology or equivalent.
Distribution Category (OPHLS-AG, PBS-AS)
Course Attribute (CU-UGR)
Comments This course is part of an off campus program at Friday Harbor Marine Labs that provides field research experience for advanced students in marine biology. You must apply to be accepted to the program by contacting the course coordinator, Reyn Yoshioka (rmy27@cornell).Outcomes
- Students learn all the characteristics of each phylum.
- Students learn the phylogenetic relationships within phyla.
- Students learn key aspects of the life history in many of the phyla.
- Students collect all their own field specimens on low tides and so understand the habitats they come from.
- Students study the behavior of animals in the field.
- Students learn the major organ system in each phylum and class of invertebrate.
- Students learn different body plans and taxonomy in high diversity sites.
Seven Week - Second.
Credits and Grading Basis
6 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TBA Friday Harbor, WA
- Mar 12 - May 4, 2017
Taught at Friday Harbor, WA. Students will travel to Friday Harbor on March 11 and leave on May 5. Prerequisites: Intro Biology or equivalent. This course is part of an off campus program at Friday Harbor Marine Labs that provides field research experience for advanced students in marine biology. You must apply to be accepted to the program by contacting the course coordinator Phoebe Dawkins (email@example.com).
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: