- Schedule of Classes - June 15, 2016 6:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 9, 2016 6:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2015-2016.
Food Science 3690/5690 will focus on currently used food safety programs to control biological, chemical and physical hazards and assure the safety of foods. Topics include prerequisite programs such as Current Good Manufacturing Practices and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures, Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP), food safety management systems (SQF) and the application of current technologies in reducing foodborne illness. Upon successful completion of the course, the students will receive i) General HACCP certification and ii) SQF implementation certification (through a collaboration with SQFI [Safe Quality Foods Institute]). These certificates will allow students to be highly qualified for food safety and quality jobs.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: BIOMI 2900 or permission of instructor.
- Develop a HACCP plans for different food industries.
- Understand laws and regulations governing food safety principles (FSMA, HACCP, HARPC).
- Understand industry food safety requirements and certifications: organic, halal, kosher, GFSI, SQF.
- Understand auditing, and different auditing schemes, and be able to complete internal (first party) audits.
Regular Academic Session. Combined with: FDSC 5960
Credits and Grading Basis
2 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Stocking Hall 146
Prerequisite: BIOMI 2900 or permission of instructor.
Disabled for this roster.