- Schedule of Classes - June 15, 2016 6:14PM EDT
- Course Catalog - June 9, 2016 6:15PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2015-2016.
Lectures cover the biotic controls on the chemistry of the environment and the chemical control of ecosystem function. Emphasis is on cycles of major elements and minor elements globally and in selected ecosystems, stressing the coupling of element cycles. A comparative approach is used to illustrate similarities and differences in element cycling among ecosystems. Analysis of both theoretical and applied issues, including global atmospheric changes and factors controlling the acidification of lakes and soils.
When Offered Spring.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: 10 students.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: solid background in ecology, environmental chemistry, or related environmental science.
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
- Students will understand how the metabolism of organisms and the interaction of ecological processes control the chemistry of the Earth's atmosphere, waters, and soils.
- Students will understand how the chemistry of the environment (waters, soils) affects key ecological processes and their controls.
- Students will learn how the interactions of element cycles can modify the influences of environmental chemistry on ecological processes.
- Students will be able to use the tools of basic aqueous chemistry and equilibrium thermodynamics in evaluating biogeochemical questions.
- Students will develop the tools to critically evaluate contradictory information on major environmental issues, using the tools of biogeochemistry.
- Students will write and give oral presentations showing biogeochemical approaches to understanding major environmental issues.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Plant Science Building 143
Limited to 10 students. Prerequisite: solid background in ecology, environmental chemistry, or related environmental science; for undergrads permission of instructor.
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Disabled for this roster.