- Schedule of Classes - October 1, 2023 7:53PM EDT
- Course Catalog - October 1, 2023 7:34PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2023-2024.
Students will produce, monitor, and evaluate diverse wine styles from several grape varieties using different vinification techniques. The laboratory includes introductory lectures, grape handling and vinification using various equipment and production methods, and emphasizes good production practices including sanitation. Students must develop their own winemaking plan for several different grape varieties, and participate in self-guided wine production activities, thus previous experience in wine production is highly recommended.
When Offered Fall.
Permission Note Enrollment preference given to: Viticulture and Enology majors.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite or corequisite: FDSC 4500/VIEN 4500.
Comments This course receives more credit than typical for the meeting pattern due to substantial academic activity outside of instructional hours and may require attendance at field/outreach events not held during course lecture time.Outcomes
- Describe and differentiate traditional red, white, sparkling, and dessert winemaking methods and styles and understand the regulations which control them.
- Describe and distinguish the technological and equipment options for wine and grape processing.
- Describe the impact of winemaking methods on water and energy usage and on waste generation.
- Explain and describe the administrative and regulatory challenges related to winemaking.
- Describe, recognize, and list common causes and control measures for microbiological, chemical, and physical wine spoilages.
- Evaluate sanitation in the winemaking environment and relate it to impacts on wine quality.
- Identify and select appropriate chemical and microbial controls and limits to monitor and control the winemaking process.
Credits and Grading Basis
2 Credits Opt NoAud(Letter or S/U grades (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- R Stocking Hall 156
- Aug 21 - Dec 4, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: