- Schedule of Classes - December 6, 2023 7:53PM EST
- Course Catalog - December 6, 2023 7:30PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2023-2024.
The course utilizes discussions, presentations, research papers, and simulations to explore the policy, financial, and business implications, opportunities, and risks, of climate change, specifically the energy transition to a low-carbon economy. We will explore potential public policies in the context of their business impacts, effectiveness, and political viability. How does different policy design encourage distinct long-term pathways within a highly capital-intensive industry? What industries are most impacted by a transition to a lower carbon economy? How do incentives and structures influence business actors toward a smoother transition, or toward wasted capital expenditures, and stranded assets? Are financial markets pricing in an energy transition? What is the role of financial and market regulators in ensuring long-term "beneficial" capital allocation? With an industry in decline, what are the business strategy options for management of a fossil fuel producer? What are the policy, financial, and business implications for clean energy firms, electric vehicle manufacturers, and the metals and mining industry? Additional readings, research, and presentations are required of Master's students.
When Offered Fall.
Distribution Category (SBA-HE)
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
- Students will describe potential impacts of the energy transition and related public policy interactions on business outcomes.
- Students will explain why market actors' incentives and other structural impediments can impede an effective and smooth transition and may also result in stranded assets and destruction of shareholder value.
- Students will examine financial and strategic approaches in assessing transition risk, and investor and management decisions-making in a carbon-constrained global economy.
- Students will explain the catalysts driving the speed and magnitude of the energy transition.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR M Van Rensselaer Hall 1157
- Aug 21 - Dec 4, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: