- Schedule of Classes - November 30, 2023 7:54PM EST
- Course Catalog - November 30, 2023 7:32PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2023-2024.
Main features of energy conversion by wind turbines. Emphasis on characterization of the atmospheric boundary layer, aerodynamics of horizontal axis wind turbines, and performance prediction. Structural effects, power train considerations, siting and wind farm planning, offshore. Senior Design version of MAE 4020. Senior Design report required.
When Offered Fall.
Permission Note Enrollment limited to: seniors or permission of instructor.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: MAE 3230 (or equivalent) or MAE 3050, MAE 3270.
Course Attribute (CU-SBY)
Satisfies Requirement Satisfies M.E. senior design requirement.
- Students will be able to understand the need for carbon-free energy production and the functions of wind turbines
- Students will be able to calculate mean wind fields
- Students will be able to analyze the aerodynamics of wind turbine blades.
- Students will be able to predict efficiency of energy extraction.
- Students will be able to understand the basics of electrical generators and mechanical to electrical energy conversion.
- Students will be able to know how to choose sites for turbines and wind farms.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability to design a wind power system or component.
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Graded(Letter grades only)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR Phillips Hall 219
- Aug 21 - Dec 4, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
Fulfills M.E. senior design requirement.
Or send this URL: