- Schedule of Classes - September 29, 2023 7:54PM EDT
- Course Catalog - September 29, 2023 7:35PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2023-2024.
Introduction to the visual arts and design that explores aesthetic and cross-cultural dimensions of fashion as a visual, material, and embodied practice. Lectures emphasize the intersections between fashion, art, and design through slide presentations, historical artifacts from the Cornell Fashion + Textile Collection, hands-on activities, and discussions. We consider social, cultural, political, aesthetic, scientific, economic, and historical aspects of fashion design, visual expression, and everyday embodied dressing.
When Offered Fall.
- Enhance their ability to think visually, and communicate ideas in visual ways.
- Become familiar with the principles and elements of design, and be able to use design language to discuss and evaluate designed objects.
- Learn about the different media of fine arts and design, and understand the limitations and opportunities offered to the designer by various materials, techniques, and technologies.
- Understand important changes in fine arts, decorative arts, and design as they have occurred in various cultural, economic, and social contexts across time.
- Approach design from a critical perspective that centers questions of justice, equity, and inclusion.
Regular Academic Session.
Credits and Grading Basis
3 Credits Stdnt Opt(Letter or S/U grades)
Class Number & Section Details
- TR M Van Rensselaer Hall G155
- Aug 21 - Dec 4, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
Or send this URL: