- Schedule of Classes - December 6, 2023 7:53PM EST
- Course Catalog - December 6, 2023 7:30PM EST
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2023-2024.
CALS offers students opportunities for experiential and engaged learning through internships in communities and organizations locally, domestically, and internationally. In the Fall semester following an engaged experience, students majoring IARD or GDEV, as well as participants in the CALS Global Fellows Program, Lund Fellows Program, and others (with permission of the instructors) will engage in critical reflection through small group sessions in which students focus on contexts specific to their internship program. The course also includes large group sessions focused on professional skill development and learning across professional contexts in comparative perspective. This structure enables students' deep context-specific critical reflection alongside program cohort mates while also learning from peers across programs that have had regionally and thematically diverse internship experiences.
When Offered Fall.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite for IARD & GDEV majors: GDEV 2105 and pre-departure portfolio or GDEV 3104. Prerequisite for Lund Fellows: GDEV 2940 or GDEV 4940 (topic: Lund Fellows pre-internship). Prerequisite for CALS Global Fellows: ALS 2300.
- Explain how power differentials and inequities may have been at play in the internship site and how that may have influenced the work of the internship host.
- Exhibit an understanding of the complexity of field sites and the differences between pre-conceived notions and reality in fieldwork.
- Articulate ongoing personal and professional goals and how the internship influenced these goals.
- Describe the mission, vision and/or goals of the internship host organization or project, how your work contributed to those goals, and how that work is connected to a global issue or opportunity.
- Identify three specific knowledge acquisition, skills, and abilities strengthened through the internship and how they might transfer in future personal and professional settings.
Seven Week - First. Combined with: GDEV 3105
Credits and Grading Basis
1 Credit GradeNoAud(Letter grades only (no audit))
Class Number & Section Details
- R Warren Hall 173
- Aug 21 - Oct 6, 2023
Instruction Mode: In Person
This course is intended for students who completed internships for the following during Summer 2023: Global Development (GDEV), International Agriculture and Rural Development (IARD), Lund Fellows or CALS Global Fellows.
Instructor Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: